Monday, February 13, 2012

I like looking at these...

Most of these pictures are what I see inside our office, but the last couple are what we saw from inside our windshield, and then inside our church. They all are things I enjoy looking at...


I just bought these 2 little African dolls this week - and I have them sitting on my desk. They are wearing the same traditional dresses and beads that we see everyday, but what I love is, the way the baby is tied exactly the same way the mothers carry them here on their backs.



These are 3 of our students on our Wall of Honor; they have paid off their loans completely. Their chosen majors are varied and range from management to certificated fields.



In the center is President Hinckley and his quote about the PEF students..."they will be a presence for good."




Three more of our "debt-free" students. We actually have 8 more to put on our wall now, and many more who have very little left on their balance. After the students pick up their checks, we walk out with them to read the quote, and tell them that they, too, will be on the wall one day. They have such hope and motivation to do well in school and repay their loans.



Golden Plates...in case anyone wondered what happened to those things, they are sitting in the PEF office in Africa.



This man "decorates" my life! He brought me a Valentine card today with a candy bar and sparkling cider. Then he proceeded to remind all the young PEF students to get their special someones a Valentine by tomorrow.




On my bulletin board, I have half of our family pictures (the other half are on our walls in our "home.") All visitors stop and look closely - they are so kind to ask about our children and grandchildren!





We drove to Tema, not far from Accra, on a really nice road, and once we got there we enjoyed a few side-streets, and so did these cows. We are finding it easier and easier to avoid beef - on our plates and on the streets. When we looked out our window to the left, there were 20 more waiting to cross the street.



These are the cutest ladies. Two are teaching English as a 2nd language on Sundays - the one on the left, and the one on the right. The one on the right, Jocelyn Sowah, is actually a nurse during the week. The two middle ladies, Margaret Sosu and Theressa Dashie, are just 2 from a class of 22! I got to help one dear lady last week, and we high-fived after she learned to spell her name in English and say all the letters. We had such fun.

7 comments:

  1. This is so fun to see exactly where you are at and what you are seeing each day.

    "Easier and easier to avoid beef on our plates and on the road.." that made me laugh Delynn!

    (The girls will love seeing themselves up on your bulletin board:) I will show them in the morning)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these reports and love the dolls! You'll have to bring some of your mementos to the TVHS Book Club to share when you return. TVUSD is sending our 120 pink slips since the federal funds that saved them last year have run out. Not sure what Fallbrook is doing. TVUSD is trying to negotiate a deal with teachers where they would get one year's salary spread over 5 years. They can use it for insurance or whatever they like. But they need 60 to sign up to make it work, so we'll see what happens.
    On another note, I'll bet you will be happy to see Kathy Altaras! What a wonder that she is going to be there while you and David are in Ghana. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, when I don't even have to get out of the car to shop! The vendors walk right by the car window. I'm sad for anyone receiving a pink slip; I feel so lucky at this point in our lives. Hopefully, there will be many to take the offer. It sounds like a great deal, that will be dried up after this year. Kathy and I have been in communique! We can't wait to see them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting "gold plate" replicas for my house! Is that "gold" metal or is it cardboard? I so appreciate your work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. High grade cardboard :) Our visitors always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete