Sunday, January 29, 2012

From High End...to Low Budget.

Everyone here has agreed that you must carry your camera with you every minute or you will miss a once in a lifetime photo. So far, I missed taking a picture of the goat in the trunk of a car, which stopped mid-lane on a 4-lane road; I missed taking the picture of 10 guys stacked every which way, riding untethered in the back of pickup truck; I also missed the twin, 2-day-old baby goats feeding on the side of the road. No more. I have my camera out and ready - snapping quickly as we drive on busy roads.



My theme for the last few days has been unusual buildings. The XGI Tower was built by a Nigerian company for an investment Group. It stands out. Concave sides, reflective windows, a rotating restaurant on top make it a landmark of innovative techniques in a country that is still trying to make driving rules uniform.



I love this apartment building. If you look very closely, you can see a person standing against the railing taking in the view. I have a goal of going to the top of this building sometime during our stay.



The colors are just fun, and it is the only orange building in the area. They win. And, no one else has thought of putting a garden on top.



Moving down in the rankings a bit...it the Legon Police Station. It looks sturdy and official enough. It resides on a fairly main road, so easy to find. Very few places waste money on landscape features, and the Police Station need not impress anyone: you either need them or you don't. I just find it interesting as we are driving along, to spot a police station where there aren't any other city businesses.



The entry way announces: The Institute of Professional Studies. Several of our PEF students attend here, but even it has a dirt driveway. It is a mixture of modern and practical architecture. It would seem that Ghana would be lacking in higher education, but actually there are many universities in Accra. I don't know how they become certified, licensed, or accredited, and yet, many have outstanding reputations.



Still looking at the same university, but this stairway is attached to the student housing.



This place was a delight to find. The outside is a patio-style African restaurant, but inside are 3 main (yet short) aisles of Costco products! Yessss. There are a few Kirkland items (really wish they carried Kirkland chocolate drink), Campbells soups, chocolate chips,pickles, cereals, jams, etc. It is like seeing an old friend when you see a product made in America.



We've not yet found the restaurant that goes with this billboard, but it is entertaining to think of a Red Lobster. Their menu undoubtedly is NOT the same, but someone has capitalized on the name.



There are a few department-type stores here, but the prices are horrible. Most people just shop at the street vendors. Love the bags.



For the longest time I couldn't find where women bought make-up, but there are a million hair boutiques with hair products. I also liked this "California" sign out front.



Just about everything is for sale at a street vendor's. Headboards and foam "toppers" seem to be a hot property to sell as well.



A nearby school. I took this on a Sunday, and I wish I could get a picture with all the school children in attendance. Depending on the school, the students dress in the uniform colors, in various styles, and they are so colorful. The range of ages is much like home; we see elementary ages up to high school, all dressed in the same colors. Schools all have the very smallish windows, dirt surroundings, and open-air classrooms. I really hope, at some point, I can volunteer to help out in a classroom.
And, this is Africa.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing/interesting/funny the things that you see and appreciate when you are away from home?! Every time I go to Taiwan I see things that I would never see here in the US ... and inevitably don't have a camera on me to prove it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures mom. Really enjoyed catching up on the blog and so glad to hear you have found some US products. Your "Redd Lobster" reminded me of the Costa Rican "In and Go Burger"....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pics - thanks for sharing, it feels like we are there with you guys almost, except we still have yummy food. It's kind of a win-win for us in a way. Before you leave, I want one of you to get a pic eating a grass cutter.

    What a fun idea to help out in a school - that would be fun and you'd be great. Glad you are enjoying the area and were able to find some Costco items. I still remember dad's line when we sat down to eat at my mission homecoming - "I have killed the fatted Costco for the return of my son..."

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures mom! Although I really wanted to see the goat in a trunk! I'm just glad that theres a REDD Lobster that dad can take you to for his birthday :) Love you guys soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep searching for the "Redd Lobster" because maybe it will be the same. My friend Katie is living in Shanghai and they replicated In'n'out almost exactly even down to the red trays. But, they call it "Cali-burger" over there, ha!

    ReplyDelete