Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lion King Country

Last weekend we had the trip we've been waiting for...to Ho. Yes, Ho. And it's sister city is Hohoe. We thought they were both pronounced "Ho, and Ho-ho," but no. Ho, and "Ho-hoi." We had been invited to speak to the Young Adults at the Institute, and we had been told it was a gorgeous drive...just like Lion King Country.
We headed for the central region of Ghana, called the Volta Region. The bridge to the right spans the Volta River, and it was a gorgeous crossing, but no photo-opps.
This is the first time we had ever seen the real banana farms - and the soil looked so fertile, a broomstick could sprout here.
One of our favorite trees here is this...but we haven't been able to find out the name, definitely a new kind of Orange Tree.
The scenery was breath-taking - we didn't know which direction to look first; however.. the roads are terrible, with unavoidable potholes.
Can you see him...goat? They have the funniest little personalities; they all remind me of my Sparky at home. sigh.
Here they are...the highlight of the area: Wli Falls. We hiked (walked) 45 minutes to see this, and the walk itself was nothing. BUT, the humidity was just killer. SOOO hot and humid.
Flutter by
Dad doing what he does best... the seminar was SO fun with such fun kids. Our topic was Self-Reliance, which is interesting because I depend so much on Dad.
Our "listeners."
Our hotel, Sky Plus Hotel, had a fabulous view. Few recommendations...give us some handrails for difficult steps, and butter with our toast, please. We took our foam bed-topper, so that problem is solved. LOVED, loved, loved the view. Have not proof-read this yet; may be some mistakes.

8 comments:

  1. Just like in America--Mom gets invited to speak, and I tag along. She is great, and all the kids wanted "exclusive" pix with her afterwards--they kept shoving their friends out of the picture so it was just them. I have been getting some good mileage out of comparing the beauty of my current mish companion and the ones I had 40 years ago in Zimbabwe. Good for a few giggles. Very fun trip, and this area must have been the original Garden of Eden. Amazing country and people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see you can still talk in front of alot of people...The pictures are really great...everything is still good at Shelly's house..I love reading your blog...Duane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing all the beauty in these pictures---it is, perhaps, a place that I might never be lucky enough to see in person. I love seeing the banana farm; in fact, I need to remember to show that picture to four-year-old Katie. I've shared some parts of your blog with her already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, it is always fun for ME to read your comments. What a precious friend you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love to see what is coming next on your blog...very interesting to see places I'm sure I will never go and to be a small part of your missionary service. I just love to tell my kids and grandkids about my cousin and her missionary experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beverly - you are too cute. Thank you for being a part of the sharing process :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really interesting Delynn. The views are great. Had to take your bed topper? Oh dear. I see that you have a new granddaughter. So sweet.
    Love you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's called a Flame Tree. Google it and see if it matches what you have been seeing.

    ReplyDelete