Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ann's Doll House

We are all really just children walking around in bodies that are "seasoned," a nice way of saying - getting older. I don't think our minds ever really get old, unless we let them stay still. It's fun to stay curious, inventive, playful, and my friend, Ann, has brought out these girlish qualities in many of us here, by sharing her Doll House.

Ann and her husband, Richard, are from Britain, and they delight us with their "ahhkcents" and things British, meaning their words and phrases. Their understatement is hilarious, and it is just entertaining to be around them. She is a talent, who has brought scrap-booking to a new high, plays golf beautifully, teaches Ghanaians how to swim in her pool, and among other projects, has put together this gorgeous Victorian Doll House. The detail that goes into each room is meticulous... and handmade. I not only loved "playing" with this house - I want to live in it!



I will never get tired of anything Disney. Can't. I grew up in Disneyland. I was there the first year it opened and had my own special book about the park that I read and re-read ever since I was 5. It IS the Happiest Place on Earth, and I love it that our grandchildren have happy childhood memories there, too. Ann has a whole scrapbook dedicated to Disney themes, and her art work is deserving of the word "imagineer."



The front of the Doll House. The house actually becomes two large doors that open from the middle, and invite you to become like Alice in Wonderland and shrink down with a quick "Drink me" cup and walk in.



The Girls'Room. Absolutely Darling. Ann made the small bedspreads that even have litle pleats in them. The wallpaper is her touch, as it is in all the rooms, but what I really love are the light fixtures on the wall and the stuffed animals.



I can imagine the small, tinkling sounds that could come from the baby grand. To our delight, it really is a music box.



If the crib is this little, imagine the baby that would curl up inside. Oh, to be Thumbellina for 30 minutes and to play in the Baby's Room.



The W.C.



The Dining Room. It's as elegant as any 19th century dining room could be.



Come in, invited guests, to the parlor. Mary Poppins herself could sit down and take a cup of tea.



Formal and wide -- the proper entry.



Tiny shelves to house tiny dishes.



I love the golf cleats and clubs propped in the corner. Both Ann and Richard play, so I'm sure this is a microcosm of their life.



The Sewing Room. A tiny sewing machine and work station just leave my imagination to picture all kinds of projects being created here. The house has been 8 years in the making, and Ann has lots of ideas for items to add. It is really fun to NOT grow up just yet, and even more fun to have friends who refuse to be adults all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Stunned by my loss of words, other than to say that Richard is our controller, and is a blessing to the church. I had a financial issue whilst trying to help a student, and his response was that "sometimes rules need to become guidelines" as he made an exception. Of course, we have been great friends ever since. He loves to drop his opinion of "you colonists" from time to time. Both he and Ann can whack a golf ball, which makes it fun.

    ReplyDelete