Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Night Before...the Night Before Christmas.

Christmas is huge here...big. Parties are happening everywhere, and it seems to be the custom to give a phone call and wish people a Merry Christmas. We were so grateful for the calls and messages from students and African friends - they are so thoughtful. We were invited with 2 other missionary couples to one of the church wards that puts on a "First Night in Bethlehem," where the whole congregation dresses like Bethlehem travelers and eats dinner outside. We received a 100 cedi note, (our Bethlehem tax rebate) and that was our dinner ticket. As guests, a table was prepared for us, but everyone else gathered their families around and sat on the pavement. The night was warm, so we were sweating under out Bethlehem costumes, and had to take them off, especially while we ate the hot, spicy food. There was a Conference message from Salt Lake projected onto the Church wall while we ate, and we met several people there from our Perpetual Education contacts, and others we've known from different encounters.





The ladies in the ward put on a GREAT dinner. We've not really taken to Ghananian food so much - but this was delicious! HOT..but really good.



In the big silver pot is the soup - pieces of beef, with a seasoned tomato and beef broth. I don't know what else was in it, but I couldn't stop -and my mouth was burning. There was a side dish of rice - again seasoned and hot, and some wonderfully soft rolls. Finally, perfect bananas - large, yellow, and sweet. Fortunately, there was plenty of bottled water and canned drinks.




The children were completely into it. They had on long, draped cloths and head scarves, and I couldn't pass up this little Wise Man. He had just gone to get something for his big brother, and I followed him back to his family to ask if he'd like his picture taken. (They love to see how the picture turns out).



After dinner outside, everyone was invited inside where the Nativity was re-enacted. I have never felt the Christmas Spirit so much as when I saw the black shepherds and angels performing their parts. Mary was especially wonderful in her gorgeous brocaded, fitted gown, and she kind of boogied her way into the manger. She just couldn't help herself - she had to dance to the music and everyone loved her. Because there were so many people between the stage and me, I couldn't get a great picture.





For Christmas Eve, 30 of us got together for a Christmas Brunch at the Curtis's home. Oh, my. Cinnamon rolls, French toast, fresh fruit, breakfast egg/cheese/vegetable casseroles, brownies, and whatever else shows up in the picture. After every one of these gatherings, we are all asking..."Who brought the ________?" And, "Can I get that recipe?" The food was really wonderful, and the company even better.



Here are some of the people with whom we've grown so close.




I loved our Christmas corner in our apartment.





For church on Sunday, the Primary children put on the program. They would have a speaker, then a song, speaker, another song - etc. I loved the little girl who led the singing...she took her responsibility very seriously.


|
The outfits these little ones wore for Christmas Day were like out of a catalog, gorgeous taffeta, ribbons, colors, with shoes and lacy socks to match. Their hair was braided, coiled, drawn up, drawn back, with such creative flair. There couldn't be a cuter collection of little dolls. The boys had on the whitest of shirts (I'm so tempted to find out what detergent they are using!), with colored ties, nicely pressed pants, and gleaming shoes. The parents had to start 3 days early to achieve such picture-perfect results.

Our first Christmas in Ghana. This was an experience I never dreamed would happen.

6 comments:

  1. Darn blogspot program. Mom spent an hour on this, previewed it to perfection, and then it prints like this. I cannot really help because my job is directions, so I just try to be supportive. I thought for sure my present (very colorful fake aquarium for her desk) would make the blog, but I lost out to a bunch of quiches! Merry Christmas everyone. Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your Christmas blog. I know what you mean about good (but really hot) food. We have that alot in India, too.

    All our love (and keep on posting) Jerome & Gladys (aka Elder & Sister Wigg)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love these pictures! Keep 'em comin'!!

    Love ya!
    Malary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, We saw the Rudens and gave them your blogspot They are doing great, Shelly is pregnant, and we are on our way to Vista for the month. You are eating way to much, hope you are exercising to keep in balance... Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute Christmas decor! I'm so happy to see that you had a nice Christmas!! We love you and miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep the comments and pictures coming :)

    ReplyDelete