Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We've started...

We are now two days into our eighteen-month mission...time flies. I just barely started a blog, and I suspect I'll get more creative as time goes on, but for now, the simple look is the best I can manage.
I was a bit apprehensive about checking into the Mission Training Center on Monday, but the attitude here is welcoming, accepting, and senior missionaries are cut a great deal of slack. After our classes, we come and go as we please, and the situation as been made most amenable by our lodgings: a Marriott. Yes, I can do this mission-thing.
We have loved meeting couples like ourselves who are retired, but who have wanted a chance to still contribute in some meaningful way. We have met people from various states and Canada -and they are on their way to Fiji, Tahiti, South Africa, Sierra Leon, Mexico, Ireland/Scotland, England, Spain, the Czech Republic, Albania.. to name just some. It was a delight when we were in the cafeteria the first day and I heard, "Sister Heid!" from a former TVHS student. He's heading for St. Louis, Mo. We also saw Brett Jones from Fallbrook, and Paul Harker who used to visit in Fallbrook. Every time we meet someone new, we find there is some connection by knowing a friend of a friend type thing. It really is a small world -- at this age.
We found out today more about malaria from the MTC doctor. He has traveled all over the world himself and his current job is to take care of/and prepare the young and the old missionaries. The church will be supplying us with a daily medication to help prevent the disease, but the best prevention is "don't get bitten." We have been inoculated against just about anything I've ever heard of, and some things I haven't heard of, and we also found out we need 2 more shots for hepatitis and a flu shot. All this in the name of love.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave and Delynn...thanks for making this blog...I loved following Al and Kathy in the Philippines and I am sure I will love following you into Ghana!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be happy to be able to follow you along on your mission - maybe I can get credit for a vicarious mission that way! So many diseases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week is Senior games in St. George I was thinking about you and Social Golf...Your blog will be great keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, sounds like you have 18 months of dad smelling like DEET ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin your blog. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete